Friday, April 30, 2010

Question of the Week: Belittled

At a meal, your friends start belittling a common acquaintance. If you felt their criticisms were unjustified, would you defend the person?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't at first. In fact, I'd probably join right in with the belittling, especially if it's the kind of thing where we're having a laugh at that person's expense. However, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before I felt guilty about it. But by then, it would really be too late to say something about it. At that point, it would just be hypocritical of me to tell the others we need to stop making fun of someone who isn't even there. But I know I'd feel bad about it. It's happened before.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have been there before myself, however, on both sides. I guess it really depends on who the belittled person is. If it is someone I am close to, I would have to defend them. Loyalty is hard to come by...so think twice before contributing.

    ReplyDelete