Friday, April 09, 2010

Question of the Week: Family

How close and warm is your family? Do you feel your childhood was happier than most other people's?

I would not call my family close or warm. I think that there are certain members of my family who would like to believe that we are. I think those family members are even capable of putting on a good face and are good at making things look warm and close. And maybe for them, things really are that way. But for me, it just isn't. Since Dad passed away, my desire to be around family has somewhat diminished. That's no reflection on my family. It really isn't about anything they've done or haven't done. My choice to become as withdrawn from everyone as I have was just that: my choice. They may not like it and I know they don't understand it. But it's how I've decided to deal with things. I know, probably not the healthiest thing in the world.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

1 comment:

  1. Knowledge of this makes me wonder if it is all my fault. And for what part I have played in this unfortuante role you have chosen to take, I am deeply sorry. I hope that deep down inside, you know that if push came to shove, this family would be there for you. We all get so caught up in the day to day activites, that it can appear that no one cares, but I know they do.

    ReplyDelete