Thursday, December 02, 2010

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XCI

Well it finally happened. Someone of authority finally recognized me for the awesomeness that I so obviously exude.

Yesterday, while I wasn't here, my manager's manager made a surprise visit. She was here Tuesday as well, so coming a second day in a row really was something of an unpleasant surprise. In my absense, she apparently went on and on about what a great job I was doing on the teller line. And my manager went on to say that she continued singing my praises at a social function last night.

What's funny about this is that I am a mediocre bank teller at best. And really, I view myself as the most worthless teller that our bank has. Just looking at my numbers, it's a little ridiculous for the manager's manager to think that I'm doing a great job.

More and more often I keep coming back to Office Space and The Office to reference my experiences at work. If you've seen Office Space, you may know where I'm going with this. The main character, Peter, is probably the biggest slacker the office has. He shows up for his meeting with the consultants who were brought in to streamline things, and he dazzles them by being honest about everything. He doesn't do any of the work he's supposed to do, but they love him. "He's just got upper-level management written all over him." Is this what's happening with my manager's manager?

If I had another job lined up, I'd be real tempted to shoot her an e-mail. Something along the lines of...

I heard about the nice things you said about me and I wanted to let you know I appreciate those sentiments. But I really have to question your judgment and, to be honest, your ability to perform your job as an area manger. On a regular basis, I radiate in waves just how much I hate being here. The fact that you didn't pick that up in the hour you were here the other day tells me you aren't very observant. Just because you saw me do one good thing pertaining to my job does not make me all that awesome. You're just not very good at picking up on my subtext. Good luck with that in the future.

Cordially, blah blah blah... On the other hand, I could just start believing these wonderful things that have been said about me. I told the manager and Barney Stinson that if they ever found themselves in a sticky situation they should stop and ask themselves, "What would Aaron do?" The answer, more often than not, would probably be to kick something in frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment