Thursday, December 23, 2010

Out of Practice

In high school I took a number of art classes. Back then, drawing was something I really loved to do. I never really thought I was all that good at it, but over time, with enough practice, I improved. Those classes do tend to pay off. These days, I don't practice too much. I'll draw the occasional dry erase advertisement on a white board at work, but outside of that, there isn't much going on as far as the visual arts are concerned.

But Christmas has arrived and I'm short on funds, as is typically the case. Instead of buying really crappy, cheap gifts for the kids in my life, I've decided to get creative. Problem is, my creativity has been stagnant for a pretty long time.

I still have a lot of the same art supplies that I've owned for years. The pencils, the ink pens, the paints, they've all sat in a drawer, unused. Now that I have need for them, I find myself becoming frustrated. Mostly, it's because I'm so out of practice with the drawing and the painting. There's a part of me that thought it would just be like riding a bicycle. Hoped is probably the more correct word.

Turns out it's a little harder than I thought it would be. I haven't been on a bike in a while either. I'm starting to wonder how that would turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment