Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XCII

Yesterday was an interesting day at the bank. I'm going to tell you the story of a business owner who occasionally banks in my branch. He's the kind of guy that likes certain tellers who are comfortable bending certain rules. These certain tellers aren't necessarily doing anything wrong, but they have a certain level of trust with certain customers and don't mind bending those rules.

Look, I'm not going to use names. There's an incredibly vindictive part of me that really wants to use real names, but I'm trying to be the bigger person here. The rude customer in question is the owner of a small painting business. The business is named after him. The only reason I would want to use his name would be to convince any of my readers in the Raleigh area to not use him or his painting services. But, as I said, I just can't lower myself to that level. So I'll just refer to him as The Painter.

The Painter came into the branch at around 9:30 or 9:45. We hadn't been open long, so I was still in that comfort zone where I was slightly optimistic about my day. Things don't usually get bad for me until after lunch. So at the time, things were good. The Painter was in the lobby and there were only two of us on the teller line. My co-worker was helping someone else and I had no one at the drive through, so I crossed to the counter and greeted The Painter.

The Painter informed me that he wanted to deposit a check into his account and then immediately withdraw $500 from said account. Now, he had no choice but to deposit the check into his business account. Rules are rules. When a check is made out to a business, it must be deposited into an account carrying that business' name. So I made the deposit for him and looked up the status of the account. In order for him to withdraw $500, as he wanted, there would have needed to be at least $500 available in the account. There was only 20 and some change. That's just not gonna cut it.

The check he deposited was for a little more than $700. You may be asking, if he deposited a check for that much, why couldn't he just make the withdrawal? Well, checks drawn off other banks need to go through processing before the cash is made available. Typically, this happens within 24 hours. But he wanted his money now. And since it was made out to the business, he couldn't just take it to the bank it was drawn on to cash it out. I gave him the bad news, even after checking with Barney Stinson to see if it was something that could be done by someone with a little more authority. I wasn't willing to sign off on it, and neither was he.

When I delivered the bad news, The Painter threw a fit right there in the bank. "I'm sure Judge [Name Deleted]'s check is perfectly okay!" I explained that if the check were drawn on our bank, it would be no problem to make sure the check was okay. As it was, I had done all I could. He stormed out. I missed the part where he said "[Expletive Deleted] you!" as he walked out the door, but Barney Stinson heard it and was happy to share that information.

If it had been later in the day, I probably would have been pretty angry about the whole situation. But since it was still early, I found it to be pretty hilarious. I started to wonder if that was what it was like for everyone else to watch me get ticked off over little things. And you'd think the story would end with being cussed out by The Painter. You'd be wrong though.

Not long after this, The Painter returned. I hid in the back. I really didn't feel like dealing with him a second time. One "[Expletive Deleted] you!" is enough for me in a day. He got the manager to reverse the deposit that I ran for him and took the check back. From there I deduced that he waited until 10am, went to the branch that opened his account, and asked them to do the withdrawal. Stinson called over to that branch and was told that one of the tellers told The Painter to come back to us, get the check, and they'd take care of him. Stinson told them the whole story, that he used profanity with one of our tellers, and that, under no circumstances were they to give him cash back on this check that is drawn on another bank. We check the system a few minutes later. The deposit showed up. He was denied his cash back. I like to think of that as justice.

Take that, The Painter!

No comments:

Post a Comment