Sunday, January 02, 2011

11 Resolutions for 2011

In the past I've mostly avoided resolutions. Seeing as how I'm not a very optimistic person, I tend to ignore the resolution idea because I figure in a few weeks I'll be back to the same person I was on December 31st. But I think it's time to adjust that way of thinking a little. I'm not saying I've snapped my fingers and then, BAM, I'm suddenly Captain Optimist. I'm just gonna look at this as one more step toward making myself a better person, an resolutions, more or less, are a good way to set goals in that direction. So here are my 11 resolutions for 2011...

1. Read my Bible more. And not just read it, but really study it. I've got a feeling God has something for me to learn from my current situation. I'm just not seeing it because I'm not connecting to Him.

2. Spend more time in prayer. And not just thanking God for the uncommonly drawn out green light at the busy intersection that I just passed through. The reasoning here would be the same as that first one.

3. Stick to a real exercise plan. I'm not looking to lose weight or reach a crazy level of athleticism that I've never before obtained. I don't even want it to be anything complicated. Just the kind of thing that makes sure I'm making some sort of effort at some daily activity.

4. Read 50 book. I love to read. And I know a lot of people try to do 100 books in a year. I'm too busy for that. Also, I'm not that fast a reader. 50 averages out to roughly a book a week. I think that's doable.

5. Apply for no less than 2 jobs per week until I'm hired. I'm talking career change here. Another part-time job to supplement income would not fulfill this resolution.

6. Watch all 100 of the AFI's 100 greatest films of all time. I know I've probably seen most of them. But I think it would be neat to go through the whole list.

7. Learn to like coffee. I'm in my 30s now. It's time to enjoy a grown-up beverage. It's time to be comfortable walking into a Starbucks to order something other that the Caramel Apple Spice.

8. Visit, or at least communicate with my family more. Not just Mom, but my sister and my extended family.

9. Visit, or at least communicate with my friends from college more. For a long time, those guys have been like extended family to me. I participate in a weekly e-mail with them, but other than that, I never reach out to anyone.

10. Completely finish writing a novel. I attempted to participate in NaNoWriMo back in November. I got close to finishing a very rough draft. It needs a lot of work. I'd like to see a final draft that actually makes sense.

11. Spend more time doing the visual arts stuff that I loved back in high school. Drawing, photography, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck! I can't wait to read about your progress throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete