Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Trendy

You know, I've never thought of myself as a "trendy" kind of person. I was never one of the more popular folks in high school. In college, that changed a bit, but I think it's mostly because I was one of about 37 people at Bluefield College. People may have known my name in the college years, but I don't think that ever qualified me as "trendy." I didn't start any fads. I didn't initiate any fashion statements. I just, sort of, was. And I got by.

This morning I discovered that a friend and fellow blogger, Elizabeth, keeper of i seek with all my heart, has chosen Carp Dime as a trendy blog. What's nice about this is that she linked my blog on hers, increasing the possibility that new people may be floating over and reading what I have to say. So if you're new, hi! Glad to have you. If you're old... well... I'll get to you later...


TrendyBlogAward


This isn't the first time Elizabeth has awarded me with a special mention. She gave me a Versatile award back in October. Funny how these things tend to happen on days when I'm having a hard time coming up with something to post. I was about to post the West Virginia Ninja video from YouTube when I came across Elizabeth's post today. I'll save the ninja video for later. It's pretty good. But anyway, I mentioned back in the versatility post that I met Elizabeth and her husband through church. I don't go to the same church anymore and I'm really bad about keeping up with people, even though we live in the same town. But I do keep up through her blog. If you didn't come here from her page, go check it out.

Blogging is something that I sort of stumbled onto a few years ago. I didn't start out with any lofty ideas of gaining popularity through it. I still don't have those ideas. Sure, it'd be nice to be a household name for 15 minutes, but I don't see my blog as being anything special. I have 36 followers at the moment (and I appreciate each and every one of you), but I don't think of myself as popular. I still don't think of myself as trendy either. It used to be I was only interested in following the blogs of people I personally knew, and for a long time, I stuck to that rule. But I've come to discover something about my fellow bloggers. As cheesy as it sounds, it's kind of a community out here in cyberspace. There are more than a few blog keepers out there that I've never met, and will probably never meet, but I love reading whatever they have to write, just so I can keep up with what's going on in their lives. I guess it could be argued that it's voyeuristic, and that I'm just peeking through other people's windows. That may be part of it. But the way I see it, by posting the things that we post, we're inviting readers to come into our lives, even if it's just a little bit.

Not sure where that tangent came from... Moving on. Okay... there are rules.
1. Post about the award. Check.
2. Pass the award to 10 other bloggers. Coming up...
3. Leave a link to the trendy blog button. Click here...

Okay, these are blogs that I follow and keep up with because I think they're interesting. More often than not, if you can make me laugh, you've got me on your hook. Some of these will be reruns from the Versatility thing. Some will be the same as Elizabeth's, because we follow some of the same people. And some are brand new, that I've only found recently.

Zephaniah 3:17 - This blog is kept by Nicole. She's a mother of five who uses every circumstance, good or bad, as a way to seek God and glorify Him.
I'm Just Sayin', kellydiane, and jmitchloves - Brandy, Kelly, and Jennifer (aka jmitch) are all fellow Bluefield College survivors. Jmitch just recently started blogging, and the others have been at it for a while. It's all good stuff that you should give a look.
Love Like Drugs - Mary Austin is a friend of a friend that I met during one trip to Charlotte a few months back. She's new to the blog as well. She has a great heart and I look forward to reading what she has to say.
Shanner of Attention - I've been following Shannon for a few months. I think I came across her blog through Elizabeth's blog. She's one of those blogging friends that I've never met, but am always interested in how things are going.
Ha Ha. Wait. What? - Amy will probably sue me for copyright infringement at some point since I steal so many awesome ideas from her blog. I found her blog through Shannon's. It really is like a world wide web of interconnected stuff.
Adventures in Randiland - Found Randi's blog today through Elizabeth's post. I read through her stuff and she had me cracking up. Like I said earlier, if you can make me laugh, you've pretty much won me over.
Badass Geek - This is another one I follow simply for the fact that I'm usually cracking up over whatever he writes.
Green Lantern Butt's Forever - While SallyP may be slightly obsessed with a certain ring-wearing super-hero's rear end, she is a fellow comic book geek. More than that, she tends to trend toward the DC side of the comic book industry. Every now and then, I just need to geek out.

And there you have it. Now you know how I really spend my days at work. When I'm not diligently handling the problems of customers that I so deeply care about.

1 comment: