Friday, January 07, 2011

Question of the Week: No Survivors

If you knew a thermonuclear holocaust would occur in precisely 20 years and no one would survive it, how would you change your present life?

So many questions arise in my mind when I try to come up with an answer to this question. First of all, how do I know about this future event? Did a Terminator from the future arrive to share this omen of doom? Am I just psychic on some level? It doesn't seem fair that I'm the only one that knows. Another question is, can it be stopped? If it can, then that would probably play a lot into the changes I'd make in my present life. Not sure how I'd go about avoiding humanity's destruction. I don't have any influence. Anywhere. So, at best, people would probably group me in with the rambling homeless man standing on a corner in Times Square holding a sign saying that "The End Is Nigh."

Assuming that nothing could be done to change this bleak future, I would go about living my life to the best of my ability. Which is kind of sad. Why does it take knowledge of an expiration date to cause us to live life to the fullest? No one is guaranteed an extra second in this world. So why don't I live each day like I've got an expiration date? Because I do. Everyone does. It just isn't printed on our sides like a carton of milk.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment