Tuesday, February 01, 2011

AFI 97 - Blade Runner





Blade Runner
1982
Directed by Ridley Scott
Netflix sleeve: In the smog-choked dystopian Los Angeles of 2019, blade runner Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) is called out of retirement to snuff a quartet of "replicants" -- androids consigned to slave labor on remote planets. They've escaped to Earth seeking their creator and a way to extend their short life spans.

Okay, I'll be honest. I wasn't looking forward to this one. I've seen it before and it really didn't do anything for me the first time around. I know, a lot of people love this movie. It's what you call a cult classic. I'm not in that particular cult. When I was a kid, my Dad had this movie on VHS. It's one he owned even after making the switch to DVDs. But for a long time, I never watched it. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that he ever really watched it either. It may have been one of those movies that was sent automatically because my folks were members of Columbia House or something and they forgot to mail the card back in. I remember asking Dad about the movie and he may have actually said he didn't care for it much himself. Maybe that tainted my view of it. Eventually I relented. I watched it about a year ago and, like I said, it didn't do a lot for me. So on this one, I have to disagree with the AFI. Not in my top 100, but I don't make the decisions.

1 comment:

  1. i actually just recently watched this myself but i watched the director's cut.

    don't know if that's the one you saw.

    i enjoyed it.

    j "did you get that deckard was also a replicant?" h

    ReplyDelete