Friday, February 04, 2011

Question of the Week: Television

Would you be willing to give up all television for the next five years if it would induce someone to provide for 1,000 starving children in Indonesia?

On the one hand, there's a lot of crap on TV these days. I mean, it's a stand-up comedy staple to talk about how there are 500 channels but nothing's on. It's kind of true. So five years of no television means you probably wouldn't be missing much.

On the other hand, there are some pretty good shows that are still on too. I won't go into the ones I like here, because I'm sure there would be plenty of debate about what I think is good as opposed to what I think is crap.

However, most of what I watch is available to be streamed online. The question only said television. It didn't say anything about the internet. While something like Community is a television show, does it really count as TV if I'm watching it from my laptop? If I can keep watching Netflix and Hulu, sure, I'll do it.

Also, if you can feed 1,000 starving children, can you not do a little better? I haven't looked at the statistics, but I'm sure there are more than 1,000 starving kids, and not just in Indonesia. Come on, wealthy, TV-hating benefactor. Let's step up the game a little.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment