Sunday, February 20, 2011

Food

"I am so freakin' hungry!" screamed Hannah as she threw herself down on the couch.

"Calm down, little girl. The pizza will be here any minute." Cam was trying desperately to get his girlfriend to relax. She had been stressing out for weeks about issues at work. Hannah had explained these issues to Cam several times, but he still had a hard time grasping what those issues really were.

Cam was pretty sure that Hannah had been using food for years to help him calm down whenever he was on the verge of meltdown. He figured she believed in the old cliche about the connection between a man's stomach and his heart. Either that, or it was just a weird coincidence that she cooked him dinner whenever he was angry or upset. She did like to cook a lot. Cam, however, couldn't boil water. So he was hoping that inviting Hannah over and ordering her a pizza would help to better her mood.

Hannah looked across the room and the look on her face was not a positive one. Cam wasn't ready to panic yet. He sat down on the couch and put his arm around her. He pulled her to him, trying to playfully give her a hug, but her body language told him that the hug wasn't a move in the right direction. Cam looked at his watch and rolled his eyes. Where is that pizza?

Cam turned to face his girlfriend. "Talk to me," he said, trying to get Hannah to open up.

"I'm just stressed out about work. I'm sorry, I don't mean to take it out on you," she said, turning her head toward Cam. "It's really not a big deal. Nothing I haven't complained about before."

"It seems like a big deal."

"It's not. I'm just making a big deal out of nothing." Hannah sighed and looked back toward the door. "And it doesn't help that I'm fighting starvation."

"I promise, your green pepper and mushroom pizza is on its way from Gino's," Cam said as he grabbed her hand and squeezed.

"You hate mushrooms," she said quietly.

"I know. But you don't." He smiled at her and leaned in to kiss her forehead. Suddenly the doorbell rang. "See, I told you it would be here soon."

Hannah smiled as she watched Cam move to the door to pay for the pizza. She couldn't help but laugh when she thought about how quickly her mood seemed to change.

1 comment:

  1. The person in my life once asked for a pizza without cheese! Later she coped with it, but mushrooms never! So I always missed out when we shared one. Great post that I connected with so well.

    ReplyDelete