Friday, February 25, 2011

Question of the Week: Regrets

If you learned you would die in a few days, what regrets would you have? Were you given five extra years of life, could you avoid those same regrets five years hence?

I'm not really the kind of person who has regrets about things. The things that happen in our lives happen for a reason. The choices we make shape us into the people that we are and the people we're becoming. Now, if I could go back in time and do things differently, sure, I'd do some things differently. But I don't think that's the same as regretting what I've done.

It's no secret that I'm unhappy with my life at the moment. But that's not to say that I'm not where I am for a specific reason. I don't regret the choices I've made, even if those choices have led me to a certain amount of heartache. That's just the way it is. There's no point dwelling on the past and regretting what I've done or haven't done.

And if I've still got a few days, then I've still got some time to make sure the people I care about know how much they mean to me. So I don't think I'd even need the extra five years to avoid any regrets.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment