Wednesday, September 07, 2011

The Long and Winding Road

I began my new job yesterday and so far it's going well. It's a little overwhelming, but that's how new jobs tend to be. Even dream jobs.

This new career takes me pretty far from my new home. It's roughly a half hour drive from Roanoke to Rocky Mount and a lot of people have asked me if I'd be okay with that drive. Even in my initial interview with my new boss, he asked me that very question. My answer? Of course I'm okay with that drive.

Here's my thinking: I sat in my car for 45 minutes when making the drive from Wake Forest to my bank in downtown Raleigh. This drive only keeps me in the car for 30 minutes. But let's also consider how very different those two drives are.

45 minutes between Wake Forest and Raleigh meant sluggishly moving through stop-and-go traffic. 30 minutes between Roanoke and Rocky Mount means driving at a fairly constant 60 mph on route 220. When it's that kind of drive, I love it.

I really do love being behind the wheel of my car. I'm not the kind of guy who loves cars. But I do enjoy driving. I like going on road trips. I like listening to music and singing to the tops of my lungs. And when I'm able to do these things at continuously high speeds without dealing with people that draw out my road rage, I think it's kind of fun.

So I absolutely don't mind the daily drive to and from work. And for the record, I'm still excited about this whole thing.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your first day went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations! I always loved the commute from Roanoke to Rocky Mount, too... hardly any traffic & plenty of time to just chill out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. never fear the commute. i live 4 miles from my work and on a bad day it can take me around 45 minutes to get there.

    a good day --- maybe 20.

    i want to hear more about his job!

    j "what kind of videos?!?!" h

    ReplyDelete