Friday, September 23, 2011

Question of the Week: In God's Hands

A cave-in occurs while you and a stranger are in a concrete room deep in a mine shaft. Before the phone goes dead, you learn the entire mine is sealed and the air hole being drilled will not reach you for 30 hours. If you both take sleeping pills from the medicine chest, the oxygen will last for only 20 hours. Both of you can't survive; alone, one of you might. After you both realize this, the stranger takes several sleeping pills, says that it is in God's hands, and falls asleep. You have a pistol; what do you do?

Wow... that's a really long and involved question. Okay, where did I get this pistol? Why isn't this listed as one of my assets at the beginning, along with the sleeping pills? Why do I have the pistol? Why doesn't the stranger have it? This is just an unlikely situation. Obviously, I wait for the stranger to fall asleep, then I shoot him in the head. But then I make it look like he committed suicide because he panicked and couldn't take suffocating to death. I'm totally kidding, by the way. I'm not a complete psychopath. I wouldn't be able to kill a stranger who just took a handful of pills. Depending on how many he took, he may have just accidentally OD'ed. But I guess that would be the part that's in God's hands. On the other hand, I couldn't use the gun to kill myself either. So I'd take a sleeping pill too. Guess I'll be putting it in God's hands too.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment