Tuesday, May 05, 2009

American Idol: 4

American Idol is gonna rock and roll all night. And part of the day. 'Cause it's rock night. With only four contestants remaining, I'm wondering if they'll each get to sing twice. Or will they each sing once and then fill the remaining 50 minutes with pointless filler and extra commercials? I guess we'll find out shortly.

Ryan explains to us that there has been no dress rehearsal. This is because there was some sort of accident on the set. One of the towers with the Idol logo started to collapse. The logo is upside-down. It doesn't seem like anyone was hurt, so I guess that's a good.

There will be six songs tonight. Four solos and two duets. Slash, the lead guitarist for Guns N' Roses, was the mentor for the kids this week. He explains to the contestants that they're not gonna be sitting around a piano going over their song choices, they're gonna be practicing at full volume with the full support of Slash's band.

Adam Lambert - Whole Lotta Love
This is probably the one week that Adam can actually get away with the screaming that everyone else seems to think is singing. And there was definitely a lot of the screaming. But as I said, it fits with the genre. 4.

Allison Iraheta - Cry Baby
Slash saw the fear in her that Simon keeps seeing in her. Obviously she lacks a great deal of confidence. She seems well suited for a Janis Joplin song. But she's having the same problem tonight as she has in weeks past. She isn't connecting. Good not great. 3.

Kris and Danny - Renegade
I'm not sure if I should judge the duets. There won't be any voting for these songs. I think I'll just give a thumbs up or down based on how they sound together. These guys' voices blend together really well. No doubt this will be something that they perform together on the tour this summer. Very good.

Side note: why are the judges commenting on this? They're not getting judged on the song. They won't get votes for it. What does Paula's rambling have anything to do with it at all?

Kris Allen - Come Together
I really like this song, but I just don't think this is the genre for Kris. I see him as more of an acoustic kind of performer. I usually like his songs, but I just don't think this was a great job for him. 3.

Danny Gokey - Dream On
This is a big song. Scratch that. This is a huge song. Even though he's my pick to win, I wonder if he can pull this one off. Most of the song was good, but that scream at the end was sketchy. Don't try to be Adam, dude. Be yourself. 4.

Adam and Allison - Slow Ride
Okay, I'm not what you'd call a fan of either of these voices. So... I don't really care about this. I'm done...

Allison is going home this week. I'll be back tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment