Sunday, May 17, 2009

Disconnected

I'm not one who likes to admit when he's addicted to something. Good think I'm not an alcoholic, 'cause isn't that step one?

But when it comes to feeling disconnected, I have to admit that I'm addicted to the internet. I mean, it's not a full-on, I gotta be in front of it every minute of every day kind of addiction. However, while I'm at work, I'm always in front of my computer, so whenever there are no customers around, I'm checking my work e-mail, looking at blogs I keep up with, surf Wikipedia, etc.

At home, I'm never more than a few feet away from my lap top. Generally, when not in use, it sits on my coffee table. So even when it's closed and in sleep mode, I'm close by, ready to check my e-mail, look at blogs I keep up with, surf Wikipedia, etc.

So one could say that I am constantly connected to the world in some way. But even if I didn't have the computer nearby all the time, I've still got my phone. Now I don't have one of those new-fangled doohickies with internet access, but I can still be connected. Just a phone call or a text message away from those who are nearest and dearest to me. And that phone is everywhere I go. I don't leave it in the car. I don't leave it at home. I leave it in my pocket.

I know that billions of people throughout history have managed to make it through their entire lives without phone or internet. But here we are in the 21st century, constantly in contact. How would the average American react if he or she were suddenly unable to check up on people on Facebook or tweet about their latest inane activities? Oh the humanity...

6 comments:

  1. lovely post and oh so true ... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is funny. i wrote about the same thing before knewing what sun scribbs topic was :) i am totally addicted to my laptop/internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right. Where would we be? Funny but surely a grain of truth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. De-evolution. We'll all be a round soft-eyed and drooling excuse for a species!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the net, enjoy the blogs but hooked yet

    ReplyDelete