Thursday, May 21, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LIV

Today I was forced to sit through some customer service training. It was possibly the most boring day of my life.

First, let's address the woman who taught the class. She introduced herself as a Memphis native. Now, I'm not sure if all Memphisites tend to talk very slowly or if it was just her. Someone out there let me know. I had an uncle that lived in the Memphis area for a long time, I don't remember him ever speaking so freakin' slowly.

Another issue I had with her is that she tended to repeat herself. A lot. And it wasn't as if she was trying to get a point across. She had catch phrases that she kept saying over and over and over again. At one point, I thought I would have to get up and walk out if I heard her say "Y'all get that?" one more time. Seriously, she had to have ended every other sentence with "y'all get that?" It started sounding like nails on a chalkboard.

We broke for lunch at 11:45, and by that time, I was already praying for the sweet release of death.

The entire day was pointless. We were "taught" how to do the things that we've already been doing for the last four months. We were "taught" how to do the things that anyone with a single ounce of common sense would know how to do.

Next time I'm signed up for a class like this, I'm going to ask my manager if it's actually necessary. He'll probably say no and then make me go anyway, but at least I'll know what I'm getting myself into.

2 comments:

  1. I do not envy your training sessions.I joined the corporate world after college. I was in muddle (pun intended) management and lasted 15 years before the walls destroyed me. I got up, walked out and went to work as lumper on a liqueur truck. One third of the pay and 3 times happier. No stress, no BS, just load , unload and go home. After a couple of years of that I started my own business. 30 years of blissful happiness. not rich but happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah inservice - the torture of modern employees :)

    http://www.delenemartin.com

    ReplyDelete