Friday, March 12, 2010

Question of the Week: Incurable

You know you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be frozen within the week if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?

No, I would not. I would not want to be turned into a popsicle just because there's a chance that I might be revived in a thousand years. I'd rather spend my last three months being awesome and spending time with my friends and family while I still could. I don't have any kids, so I know I wouldn't have any descendants to hang out with. Who knows what the world would be like in 1,000 years. They'll probably still be promising flying cars but they still won't have them. No personal jet packs. I'll stick with my last three months, thanks.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment