Thursday, April 14, 2011

AFI 85 - A Night at the Opera

A Night at the Opera
1935
Directed by Sam Wood
Netflix sleeve: The Marx Brothers - Groucho, Harpo and Chico - wreak havoc in the opera house in one of their biggest hits. Penned by Morrie Ryskind and George S. Kaufman, the film contains perhaps the greatest Marx comedy bit ever: the crowded stateroom scene. Kitty Carlisle and Allan Jones are charming as the singing romantic leads whom the Marxes help transform into big-time opera stars. This was the first MGM film for the Marxes.

Well, that was my first movie starring the Marx Brothers. I don't see the appeal. Maybe humor was different in the 30s than it is today. You know, I'm sure humor is different today than it was 80 years ago. This movie did have its moments for me, but overall, I didn't think it was all that hilarious. It was revelatory, however, in that I didn't realize that Groucho's mustache was fake. At least, it looked fake to me. It looked like he smeared a line of black shoe polish under his nose. Am I wrong? Was there hair there? Help me out blogosphere.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you piqued (or peeked if you like) my curiosity, so I had to go and do a google search about Groucho's mustache. I think he's most famous for the fake mustache. You see it in most of his pictures. I suppose it was part of the comedy bit. Again, humor in the 1930s.
    But in some pictures, he has a definite (and much smaller) real mustache.
    I like to believe that he had some sort of accident in which he lost the real one, and the one in all the movies is a prosthetic.

    ReplyDelete