Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Life Story - Chapter Fifty Five

Did you ever do something just so you could be near that girl you had a thing for? Not necessarily something ridiculous, just something you wouldn't have thought of doing if it hadn't been for her. Or, ladies, is there a guy that you did something like that for?

For me, it was taking a second year of photography in high school. I really enjoyed taking that year-long photography class during my junior year. But to be honest, I had no idea that Advanced Photography even existed. And maybe it's because it's been so long that I don't remember actually learning anything new, but I'm kind of thinking that it was just an excuse to give students two more semesters of darkroom time.

Like I said, I didn't even realize Advanced Photography was an option until a few days into my senior year. And then I saw that girl go into the class. In a brief moment of bravery, I stopped her and asked why she was taking photography all over again. We had been in the same class together the previous year. She explained that this was the advanced class. In shock, I sort of shouted, "There's an Advanced Photography?!"

I'm pretty sure I frightened her. But I was undeterred. I found some time to go speak to my guidance counselor and got my schedule rearranged. I would be taking Advanced Photography, no matter the cost. Turns out, it wasn't that hard to get into. It's not as if it was a full class, and the only prerequisite was the first year of Photography. I was in.

Nothing ever developed between me and that girl. Get it? Developed? 'Cause it was Photography?

Anyway, I did have a great time in the class, despite lacking the courage to approach the girl I had a crush on all through high school. I'm pretty sure that's when I learned about pinhole photography, where we took old Quaker Oats containers and took some fairly bizarre pictures with them. I'm pretty sure we also got to experiment with Photoshop, a program I wish I had on my own computer today. Alas, it's an expensive program for a hobby that I don't really keep up with that much anymore.

I wish I did.

I may have gotten into Advaned Photography because of a girl that I hardly ever spoke to, but I ended up falling in love with photography instead. Funny how doing something for what can be seen as the wrong reason can still yield positive results sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. I've been there, done that. A guy I was crushing on was a huge Boston Red Sox fan, so I was determined to learn everything about the Sox and become their #1 fan. And it worked. I started talking to him about baseball and the Red Sox, and we even dated a few times. He ended up being a grade A butthole, but what did I expect? He was a Sox fan after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete