Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Life Story - Chapter Fifty Six

You know, I really don't remember much about my senior English class. I guess that really doesn't make it much different from the rest of my high school classes that I have little to no memory of. And look at that, ending a sentence in a preposition. Guess I should have paid more attention to Mr. Ciaffone.

Ciaffone was our senior English teacher. And I honestly don't remember learning anything. Not that I'm saying he was a bad teacher. It's just that, well, what is there to learn after taking English and Language Arts for the previous eleven years?

That doesn't mean I don't remember some things from that class. I remember a lot of visits to the computer lab. I remember writing an essay that could be about any subject. I chose to dissect the classic song "American Pie." I also remember having to do a senior speech at the end of the year. Being a comic book geek, I gave my speech on comic book collecting. At that point, I figured, it's the end of my last year, who am I trying to impress by hiding all these comic books?

Other than the school work, I remember hanging out with two girls who I came to consider very good friends during the course of that school year. Renee, Elizabeth and I would not pay attention in class. Instead, we would spend the bulk of our time playing Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Actually, I think Elizabeth and I would play Six Degrees more than Renee would. Renee, if you're reading this, correct me if I'm wrong there.

Renee did come to my 18th birthday get together though. I can't really call it a party. I just went bowling with a bunch of friends. She was the only one that brought a gift. Despite saying over and over that she really didn't need to do that, I accepted it. It was a Superman statue based on the cover of Superman #1. She knew I liked Superman. And this was before I gave that senior speech. I was touched.

After graduation I lost touch with Elizabeth. Renee and I wrote back and forth while I was in college. She joined the Navy and saw the world. I still have a picture she sent me of her standing in front of the Sydney Opera House in Australia. Oh, and I got an A on my senior speech. In case you were wondering. I got an A on that "American Pie" paper too.

No comments:

Post a Comment