Thursday, June 02, 2011

AFI 80 - The Apartment

The Apartment
1960
Directed by Billy Wilder
Netflix sleeve: C.C. Baxter (Jack Lemmon) has his future mapped out--all he needs to do is cozy up to the top feeders in the corporate food chain. But his fast track to the executive suite gets short-circuited when he falls for one of the bosses' girlfriends. The Apartment features top-notch performances from Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine and was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, winning five, including Best Picture.

Okay, this one I really liked. C.C. Baxter is a likable character, so I kind of feel bad for him in the way that so many of his co-workers use and abuse him. But at the same time, I felt like he put himself in the situation that he seems to constantly find himself in, so that makes it a little more difficult to pity him. I don't think I'd ever seen Shirley MacLaine in anything before Terms of Endearment, so to see her so young felt slightly strange. And I have to admit, it was difficult seeing the absent-minded professor playing such a sleazebag. But there he was, being a sleazebag. Good movie. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment