Thursday, June 23, 2011

Can't Give This Stuff Away

So for about three weeks, maybe a month, I knew I would be moving from my awesome apartment back to Roanoke. For two of those weeks, I've known I'd be sharing an apartment with two other guys. This, of course, would bring me from my own fully furnished apartment to one bedroom of my very own. This meant I had to get rid of a lot of things.

Craigslist to the rescue, right? Well, that's what I thought. Didn't work out so well.

Before I listed anything, I asked around at work, to see if anyone there wanted any of the stuff I was trying to get rid of. I had one co-worker who wanted one of my dressers and the floor lamps I kept in the living room. Other than that, I didn't get much interest from the folks at the bank.

At that point I placed my ads on Craigslist. I had a grand total of one legitimate hit. The first day of my first ad, a guy came by and bought two of my bookshelves. After that, I've sold nothing. Not that I haven't been contacted. But they were all shady kinds of e-mails. One was saying he'd send me a money order via UPS and send some moving guys over to pick up the furniture. Yeah, I don't think so. I specifically put in the ad that I was only taking cash. Something about that just didn't seem right at all.

The point is, I haven't been able to get rid of anything else. And we're talking some pretty decent furniture here.

I mean, really, do these things look that bad? I've lowered my asking prices several times and now have reached the point that I'll just take whatever someone offers.

This Saturday is my last chance to get rid of these things. And it's not just the pictured items above. I've still got a coffee table, an area rug, another dresser, and a TV with a DVD player built in. It comes with a real working remote control if that cinches it for you.

I just don't get it. I literally can't even give this stuff away. And I certainly can't take it with me. There just isn't room in my single room that I have to myself. Anybody have any suggestions? Know anyone in the Raleigh area who could use some furniture? I've kind of run out of time here. I mean, it would have been nice to have been able to sell these things to have a little bit of money to help with the moving expenses. But at this point, it's just got to go.

I feel like I'm giving up on the furniture I've had for four years. It's been good furniture. I mean, I didn't name it or anything. I'm not crazy. But I've enjoyed my time with it. I hope to find it a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment