Monday, June 20, 2011

Legends of the Bank Teller: Starting From Scratch

Look at that. An actual title to go along with the heading of Legends of the Bank Teller. Impressed? Well, you should be. If I need to wait for you to become impressed, I can wait. After all, by the time you're reading this, I'm long done with it and I have nothing but time on my hands.

I figured I'd start doing something new with these Legends. After all, I'm in a new place. It's like starting over. Hence the title.

I'm in a different state than I used to be. This adds all kinds of new challenges to this job that I've undertaken. See, one of those challenges is the fact that Virginia uses a different computer system than we used in North Carolina. Do you understand what that means for your friendly neighborhood former drive-thru teller? It means that I have to go through all the training that I went through three years ago. All over again.

Today was orientation. No one could really understand why I was enrolled in the new hire orientation, as if I didn't take that "welcome to the club" class when I was first hired in 2008. The boring videos that we were shown haven't changed. Not even a little. And I'm sorry, but yes, they were boring.

The woman teaching the class told us all that she was also new to the bank. So really, I had seniority over everyone in that room. Crazy, right? There were a few times when she would look at me and ask questions. I really would have rather they all just pretended that I knew nothing. That's kind of how I want to look at all of this. I want to start over. I want to start from scratch. I kind of want to pretend that I know nothing.

Because as I went through my day today, I started feeling a little overwhelmed. It wasn't anyone's fault but my own. What I really think happened was that it all started to hit me. If it was just moving from one place to another, I think I'd be okay. If it was just me taking on new responsibilities in a new job, I think I'd be okay. If it was just me trading one group of friends for another group of friends, I think I'd be okay.

But it's all of those things happening at the same time. I moved to another city. I started a new job. I said good-bye to the friends I've known for several years to say hello to the friends I've been missing. Any one of these things can be stressful for a person. All of them at once can be a nightmare.

I don't want it to be a nightmare. I keep reminding myself that this is all supposed to be a good thing for me. Eventually I'll start to believe it. But as the minutes of my work day ticked by, I couldn't help but think, "What have I gotten myself into?"

My new coworkers are great though. They seem like a really fun bunch and I know I'll get along great with them. My quick wit and dry sarcasm has already been welcomed there and I've already been told I'll fit right in. Even so, the doubt is something that too easily sneaks into my mind.

So here I am. Starting over from the very beginning. All I can do is my best and hope that it turns out to be good enough, not only for my new work family's expectations, but for my own as well.

2 comments:

  1. I've recently taken a new position at my company, and although I didn't move to a new state like you did, I too, understand this feeling of being overwhelmed.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to Virginia. Hope we'll get to see you once in a while?

    ReplyDelete