Friday, June 10, 2011

Question of the Week: Others

What things are too personal to discuss with others?

I think a lot of the answer to this question hinges deeply on who these others are. There are some people in my life with whom I've reached a remarkable comfort level. With these people, I can share just about anything, no matter the subject. They, in turn, have shared the same conversations with me. Knowing how I am and how little I'm prone to talk anyway, it's usually been because these close friends have been the first to approach whatever the topic may be and we've just run with it. There are some things that I never thought I'd feel comfortable talking about that I've actually talked about.

However, if those others include you, the good people reading this blog, there's probably a lot that I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing. I do share a lot. I've probably embarrassed myself a time or two through one post or another. But I don't think I've ever really crossed the line of getting too personal. After all, I've never made myself anonymous on here. While I may not just advertise my first and last name, it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to glean a great deal of information about my personal life from my many blog posts. I wouldn't call myself an open book, but I'm probably pretty easy to read.

Really, there hasn't been much that I've held back on here. I've discussed my personal beliefs as far as religion is concerned. I tend to shy away from political ramblings, but that's not because I think my politics are too personal to discuss. I just don't like discussing politics. Probably because I don't stay as well informed as I should, or would like to be. I do discuss my interest in dating... or lack of interest as the case may usually be.

That being said, here is a list of personal subjects that I will not be discussing on this blog:
  • Droppings of the deuce
  • My sex life, which is bound to exist at some point in the future
  • Specifics about where I work - you just need to know I currently work at a bank, that should suffice
  • How much money I make
  • Why feet freak me out
  • Why clowns scare the deuce out of me
That's about it. You can look forward to me not mentioning any of these things for the foreseeable future. And it isn't because I'm ashamed of being afraid of clowns. I just don't like talking about them, okay?

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment