Thursday, June 28, 2012

False Prophecy


This picture was posted to my Facebook wall by two separate people yesterday. It was also sent to my phone via text message from my sister today. I don't know where the picture originated, but I gotta tell ya, it looks like it's been run through the Photoshop.

As a lover of all things Back to the Future, I feel fairly certain that this image appears nowhere in the film. Note the Present Time and Last Time Departed readings. These numbers indicate that this image should appear during the scene that takes place at the Twin Pines Mall near the start of the movie.

If you'll remember, this is the part where Doc Brown's dog, Einstein, becomes the world's first time traveler. Doc sent Einstein one minute into the future. Once the dog arrives in the future, Doc shows Marty how the display works. In doing so, he input three example destination times. 1:21am on June 27, 2012 was not one of them.

Doc suggests seeing the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and therefore inputs July 4, 1776. He then suggests witnessing the birth of Christ and punches in the erroneous date of December 25, 0000. Finally, he gives Marty the destination time which would alter the course of McFly family history: November 5, 1955.

It's at that point that Doc begins to get a little nostalgic about how things used to be around Hill Valley before preparing for his own trip to the future. Of course, this is interrupted by Libyan terrorists who had hired Dr. Brown to build them a bomb. See, they wanted revenge for Doc stealing their plutonium, which is the fuel needed to power the time circuits and the flux capacitor. You know what, I don't know why I'm telling you all this. Just watch it for yourself.

If I'm wrong about the whole June 27, 2012 thing, let me know. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one. Thanks to the ones who sent me the picture though. I do appreciate the thought.

1 comment:

  1. *Chagrined* Okay, well, I can at least hope that I was the FIRST one to post it to your wall, because though I might not have researched whether is was legit or not, at LEAST I checked to see if you or anyone else had already mentioned it.
    But I have SINCE done some research, because that's how I roll. And it was in fact October of 2015 (and of course Back to the Future II).
    Also, in my research, I found these: http://www.11points.com/Movies/11_Predictions_That_Back_to_the_Future_Part_II_Got_Right
    http://www.11points.com/movies/11_predictions_that_back_to_the_future_part_ii_got_wrong

    And they were entertaining. The end.

    ReplyDelete