Monday, June 18, 2012

So Many Questions, Part I

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but my blog posts have been few and far between as of late. I do appreciate how no one has judged me for my lack of creativity. So I'll ask you to hold off on the judging a little while longer. 'Cause I'm totally stealing this post from Elizabeth over at best.day.ever. It's a list of 100 questions. I'm so very tempted to just use these one at at time as future Questions of the Week. I'm getting really close to the end of Gregory Stock's The Book of Questions. But I won't do it one at a time. Instead, I'm breaking it down to 20 at a time. 20 a day for each day this week.

1. Are you young at heart or an old soul? I'm gonna go with young at heart. Not that I'm child-like or overly childish. I just have a difficult time wrapping my brain around the fact that I'm in my 30s now. In fact, I kind of have a tendency to believe I'm still the same age I was in college. I know it's not true, I just don't want to believe it so much.
2. What makes someone a best friend? They listen without judging and tell you what you need to hear, even when it's a difficult truth. They help you laugh when you need to do that, and let you cry when that's needed too.
3. What Christmas present do you remember the most? Okay... Confession time. When I was a kid, I got a Santa Claus statue for Christmas one year. I really don't remember who gave it to me and I don't even know how old I was when I received it. But for some reason, everyone in my family got it into their heads that I really liked collecting these Santa statues. Look, there's a really good chance I was only acting excited about getting these Christmas collectibles because I wanted to seem like I appreciated them. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Which kind of makes me hope no one in my family reads this part of this post. Mom accuses me of not having a sentimental bone in my body. It's mostly true. My femur might be slightly sentimental. I'll get back to you on that. Eventually I stopped being nice about it though. I got rid of all those Santa statues. Here's a fact about present Aaron: he doesn't like knick-knacks. Things that sit around the house that have no true function, well, he views these things as kind of a waste of space. They just represent something that needs to be dusted once a week. It's tiresome. Oh, and one year I got a Nintendo. It was awesome.
4. Tell me about a movie/song/TV show/play/book that has changed your life. I love movies. I can watch certain TV shows over and over again. I sing in the car like it's my job. I don't often go to plays, but you know, I like them well enough. And when I can find the time, I can devour some books. Generally, I don't think any of these things have changed my life. For me, for the most part, they're all purely entertainment. I'll admit there are certain songs that I'll hear for the rest of my life that will remind me of certain people or moments from my past. But I'm not sure that my life has changed because of those songs. When the hoverboard becomes a real thing, I'll give a lot of credit to Back to the Future Part II.
5. Name one physical feature that you like about yourself and one you dislike. Well, I like my thumbs. Yes, for most of my life, my thumbs have been mocked. But you know what? They're kind of unique. I mean, not unique in the sense that no one on earth has thumbs like mine (unless we're comparing prints). But I can safely say that no one in my family has similar thumbs. I like that small ability to stand out. I dislike the fact that I kind of have too much hair. I'm not complaining about what's on my head. And I'm okay with my ability to grow facial hair. It's the rest of the body that bugs me. This is a genetic trait that I inherited from my Dad. And I don't thank him for it. In my experience, not too many ladies dig the Teen Wolf look outside of the movie Teen Wolf. Sadly, that genetic trait did not come with the sweet basketball moves that you'd think it would.
6. Would you like to reconnect with any friends you've lost contact with? You know, I recently did a blog post about that very subject. Sort of. Really, I was writing about how people come and go in our lives and it's easier than you'd think to lose contact. Sure, I can think of several people from my past that I'd like to see or speak with again. But I'm not going to dwell on the fact that they're not in my life anymore. Life's too short to have those kinds of regrets.
7. What's more important in a relationship: physical attraction or emotional connection? I'm gonna go with emotional connection. But this is coming from a guy who rarely shows emotion. But that's not saying one should negate the importance of physical attraction. I think there has to be some kind of attraction there in order for a pair to make strides toward an emotional connection.
8. Name a movie that you knew would be terrible just from reading the title. Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
9. What holiday do you most look forward to? Christmas
10. How is the relationship between you and your parents? Well, up until the last time I saw Dad, our relationship was great. And Mom and I get along just fine. In fact, I always pretty much got along with both my parents.
11. You've got the TV on, but you're not really watching. What channel is on? I do like to have some background noise. But usually it's the computer playing some random stuff on Pandora. But if the TV happens to be on, it's whatever TV series I'm trying to catch up on through Netflix.
12. Name a song that never fails to make you happy. Generally, the recording of Dad singing "How Great Thou Art."
13. You know at least one person named Michael. Tell me about him. I'd really rather not. The only Michael that comes to mind at the moment is a guy that is the music minister at a church that I once attended. I never cared for him and I have my reason, both personal and theological. But I wont' use my blog as a means of calling the guy out and bashing someone whose name I just blatantly listed.
14. Have you ever read the "missed connections" on Craigslist? Have you ever posted one or wanted to? I have read them before. Simply out of morbid curiosity. Not because I thought the girl I made eye contact with once at the Cameron Village Laundromat might have posted something trying to find me. And no, I certainly have not posted anything there. I just have a bad feeling about that kind of thing.
15. If you could pick anywhere to live the rest of your life, where would it be? Somewhere on the water. Ironic, since I can't swim. I just like the view.
16. Can money buy happiness? I think that money can buy the illusion of happiness. But that sort of happiness is fleeting. And a little shallow.
17. Do you drink? Smoke? Do drugs? Why or why not? Occasionally. No. And no. As for the whys? Well, the drinking happens on the rarest of occasions. I really don't enjoy the taste of alcohol. I've tried beer a few times and I just can't get into it. Mixed drinks are okay, but again, I just can't really get into them on a regular basis. As for smoking, I truly believe it's disgusting. Sorry to my readers who smoke, that's just what I think. In fact, I came across someone smoking one day recently and couldn't help thinking, "People still do that?" And drugs? Please. I don't do that because I'm not stupid. Except for caffeine. Daddy needs his caffeine.
18. Is there anyone close to you that you know you can't trust? You don't have to give names. I try not to associate with people who are not trustworthy. I warn anyone who is close to me, however, that if you have my trust, it only takes a second to lose it forever. No pressure, kids.
19. Where was your favorite place to go when you were a little kid? We didn't go to a lot of places when I was a kid. We didn't have a regular family vacation spot or anything. However, year after year, we loaded up the family car and made the 8 hour drive to Nashville for the Peck family reunion. As a kid, I loved being there. I got to see cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents that I only got to see once a year. Don't get me wrong, I love Mom's family too. But they were all very local. We saw those guys all the time. Nashville isn't exactly exotic, but it was always fun.
20. Have you ever spent the night in the hospital? Does the waiting room count? If so, then yes. What about a psychiatric hospital? If so, then yes. For 7 weeks. It was a hellish nightmare. I wasn't crazy. I was anorexic. Please refer to my Life Story posts for further details. If you're meaning a regular hospital due to illness or surgical procedure, then no.

2 comments:

  1. You know...I knew the answers to all of your questions except for #3. How after all of our hours of talking have I never heard that particular fact about you? It (along with several others including #13} made me laugh. So thankful for your writing. It's pulled me out of a funk more times than I can count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to the Santa thing.

    I once got a stuffed frog as a gift and acted like a really liked it. All of a sudden, I was the girl who collected frog things.

    Yeah, that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete