Friday, February 08, 2013

The Days Are Long

I've had a lot of days off lately. Most of these days away from school have not been by choice. While I haven't complained about the time off from work, I do have a complaint about the way I've spent that time.

Wednesday was a day off. Not due to weather or any other crazy school closing reasons. I took the day off by choice. The company I work for occasionally offers to give its counselors a free day, provided they turn in all of their paperwork by a certain deadline. So I get paid day off for doing my job. Not bad.

But there's so much I could have done with my day Wednesday. There's some current paperwork that I've fallen behind on. I certainly could have worked on that. I've got books that I've been wanting to read. I could have picked those up. And, of course, there are all those ideas I've got in my head about being a writer. I could have strung together some words that day.

As it was, the most productive thing I did all day was clean out my car. Believe me, it was needed. I still had things in the backseat that had been sitting there since Christmas. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that particular style of apathy.

I did work that night. We did inventory at the store. Which meant I was counting clothes until midnight. That translated into not much sleep Wednesday night.

Today I made up for it. I woke up at my normal time, ready to get ready for school. Then the news came that the county had once again canceled due to dangerous driving conditions. It's getting to the point where I can say, "School's canceled? Must be Friday..."

Once I knew I didn't have to get up, I went right back to sleep. I didn't open my eyes again until after 10:30. I can't remember the last time I slept that late. And I absolutely hate sleeping in like that. I feel like I've wasted the day.

Eventually I went over to the gym, so it's not as if I just sat in my room all day. But still, did I get caught up on any paperwork? Nope. Did I go grocery shopping, despite the fact that I need to do that? Nope. Did I hit up the post office to see if my final W-2 had arrived? Of course not.

Does this mean that I'm incredibly lazy? I really hope not. I don't mean to be. I feel like I should want to do more with my time on days like these, though.

Ladies and gentlemen of the internet, how do you fight laziness?

No comments:

Post a Comment