Saturday, March 30, 2013

Crackaroni & Cheese

So, I've been invited to another potluck meal, which will take place after church this Easter. This means that I'll need to make some more food. But, what to make?

For the last potluck I went to, I made the Chicken Quiche-adilla and the Sugar Cookie Fruit Cups. I don't just want to make the same thing all over again. 'Cause I'll be potlucking with a lot of the same folks. Don't want to come off as a one trick pony.

Luckily, I was able to spend Thursday afternoon with my grandmother, henceforth known as Mamaw. Mamaw has an amazing talent. She is an incredible cook. My personal favorite? Her homemade macaroni and cheese. This stuff is so good, it's impossible to stop at what officials consider to be an individual serving size. It's kind of addictive. We, the grandchildren, lovingly refer to the side dish as Mamaw's Crackaroni & Cheese.

Mamaw's version. Flawless.
Thursday, I was given the opportunity to watch Mamaw make the mac & cheese. No, she did not use any actual narcotics in the making of the dish. Yes, it was as delicious as it always is. And I'm pretty sure I was able to pick up exactly how it's made.

Today, I gave it a shot. It came out of the oven looking pretty good. Obviously not as good as Mamaw's version. I guess I'll find out how it is for sure tomorrow afternoon. I do know that it smelled amazing. And I transported it in my car to the friend's house where the potluck will take place, so I'm hoping that my car will smell like macaroni and cheese for the next week. That would be awesome.
My version. Not as flawless.

2 comments:

  1. I knew I forgot something...

    Ingredients:
    1 8 oz. block of Colby cheese
    4 cups elbow macaroni
    1 egg
    1.5 cups milk
    1 stick of butter

    These instructions are for a 9x13 casserole dish. Boil the macaroni. Once it's ready, drain the pasta, then pour into the casserole dish. Mix the egg with the milk, then pour over the macaroni. Slice the cheese and place the slices throughout the macaroni. Be sure to have enough slices leftover to cover the top. But before you put the slices on top, place pats of butter on top of the macaroni. Then cover it all with the leftover cheese slices. Make sure the oven is heated to 350 degrees and let it cook for 45 minutes. I'm not sure how many people it's supposed to serve. But I'm pretty sure I could eat it all myself in one sitting.

    And I think it was a hit at lunch today. There wasn't much left at the end of the potluck.

    ReplyDelete