Friday, March 08, 2013

Remembering Bluefield: This Guy

Well, this is a little embarrassing. See, I was supposed to officially begin the "Remembering Bluefield" posts today. Last week, I kind of said that I would do that. The idea is to find different alumni from Bluefield College and have them share their memories, as well as where they are now. Since it was David Lowe's idea, the idea was to have him be the first interviewee. But I kind of had a hard time coming up with proper interview questions. And I didn't get the questions to him until yesterday. And, well, life being what it is, I didn't provide him with enough time to get the answers to me by the time I needed to post today's blog. But I've spoken with him and he's assured me that the answers will be back here next week.

So for this week, you're stuck with me. Chances are, all the information found in my answers to the questions can be gleaned from the past 6 years of blog posts. But you'd have to do a lot of research to pull them all together. I don't expect that of anyone. Except for my Number One Fan. Hey, Number One Fan, wherever you may be, whoever you are, I bet you know all these answers before I even tell them. Memo to self: once I gain a little more popularity, I should have a contest to determine my Number One Fan. It will be my greatest triumph!

I digress...

When did you graduate?
May 2003

What degree did you earn?
B.A. - Christian Studies; B.A. - Behavioral Science (that's right, I got two)

What drew you to Bluefield College?
It's where my youth minister had gone, so there was that connection. Once I visited the school, I decided that I really liked the smallness of the place. I went to a large high school and mostly felt lost for 4 years. I didn't want to feel that way at college.

What kept you there?
I almost decided to transfer after my freshman year. But then I went on a mission trip with the BSU during Spring Break. That's where I really started to come out of my shell and make some of the best friendships I've ever had.

Is there a class that changed your life? If so, what?
I wouldn't say there's a particular class that changed my life or changed my perspective on things. A lot of my Christian Studies courses were eye opening and really caused me to think about my beliefs and my faith. Not in a questioning-God's-existence kind of way. Just in a way that made my faith even stronger than it had been growing up.

What teacher had the biggest impact on you? Why?
I have to pick two here: Dr. Ken Lyle and Dr. Eddie Stepp. Both of these guys were Christian Studies professors. Dr. Lyle was also our campus minister. I was privileged to spend a lot of time in conversation with both of these men. By the end of my college career, I felt that I could count them as friends, not just teachers.

Did you live on campus or commute?
On campus all five years. Yeah, five. But I got two degrees. So... yeah...

Who were your roommates?
So many... Freshman Year - Landon Walls, then Kevin Anderson; Sophomore Year - Phil Kidd and Ronchez Hancock; Junior Year - Dave Lowe; 1st Senior Year - Mark Hipes, Brandon Caldwell and Dereck Harris; 2nd Senior Year - had my own room.

Share an epic roommate story (if you have one).
So many... Well, Landon used to stumble into the room in the middle of the night while I tried to get my rest for the next day's 8am class. Kevin had nothing in the room. The only things we had were the furnishings provided by the school and the small TV I decided to bring from home. It was a very Spartan semester. Ronchez kind of had an emotional breakdown one night. Scared Phil and I to death. We were really worried about him, but he turned out all right in the end. I introduced Dave to his wife. I only stuck with Mark, Brandon and Dereck for one semester before I ended up getting my own room. The introvert in me couldn't handle sleeping in the same room with three other people. Don't get me wrong, I still love those guys like brothers. They're just the brothers I like to know are down the hall instead of right on top of me making fun of me when I talk in my sleep.

What's your most cherished Bluefield College memory?
Just about any memory that involves singing with Variations and/or Praise Singers. I loved singing in college. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the people I sang with in those choirs are possibly the most talented musicians I've ever encountered in my life. For such a small school, there was an extraordinary number of gifted people there. I particularly remember visiting DisneyWorld on choir tour. While waiting in line for some of the rides, we would break into a capella versions of our repertoire. All kinds of fun.

Where are you now?I'm currently living in Radford, VA. Not too far from the old alma mater.

What are you doing?
I work as a Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor with Family Preservation Services. I also fold clothes for the good folks at Old Navy from time to time.

Does that mean you're using your degree?
I'm definitely using the Behavioral Science degree, yes.

Are you where you pictured yourself being when you were in college?
Not quite, but I was never one to really set goals for myself back in college. That whole goal-setting frame of mind didn't really develop until the last year or so.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In 5 years I would like to be certified to teach and have my own classroom somewhere. I wouldn't mind finding a good girl to start building a life with. Not necessarily married yet, but on the way to it would be nice. Never thought I'd be ready to admit that's something I want.

What's your greatest post-BC accomplishment?
I don't think I've reached it yet. Stay tuned.

What's your fondest post-BC memory?
Again, there are a lot. Any time I'm back together with my college friends. We're scattered all over the place these days, but whenever we get together, it's like no time has passed. Specifically, though, I have to go with the road trip to Indianapolis with Mark, Brandon and Andy.

If you had it to do all over again, would you change anything?
Not a single thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment