Tuesday, March 19, 2013

School Haiku


My alarm wakes me.
It is still so dark outside.
Slap snooze, sleep some more.

The long drive to school
On a twisty, curvy road
Is filled with danger.

Some cars that I meet,
Completely out of control.
Get back to your side!

The morning bell rings.
The children pledge allegiance,
Hands over their hearts.

Inquisitive kids
Asking curious questions.
Shaping the future.

They all get so loud.
Screaming, yelling, arguing.
Head begins to ache.

Where is the weekend?
Summer is so far away.
Needs to get here soon.

But don't get me wrong.
This job is really, really
Great. Some of the time.

It's really awesome
At two-thirty when the kids
Get on their buses.

And I drive back home
Down that dangerous road, to
Start over again.

I'm bad at poetry. I always considered haiku the one kind of poetry I could do. The rules seem simple enough. 5 syllables/7 syllables/5 syllables... I'm sure I just found a way to screw it up though. Try not to judge too harshly. I've been fighting a migraine for a couple days. I'll try to have something better tomorrow, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment