Thursday, March 28, 2013

One Hour

Let's talk about a one hour delay, shall we? To me, it's kind of a waste. It's the kind of thing that shouldn't even be an option.

When a school system decides on a delay of one hour, it doesn't really take a lot of time away from the school day. I suppose that bit appeals to the school board. But by the time we make it to the school, it's like having a full day anyway.

The logic behind a delay is that it gives a little extra time for the roads to get clear and become safer. But does a single hour provide enough time? In that time, does the sun have enough time to warm up the area to melt the ice that remains? Doubtful. You know what would help? An extra hour. I'm a big advocate of the two hour delay.

Now, ignoring the condition of the roads, driving can still be a hassle at this time of the day. At the normal schedule, I'm on the road and leaving Radford before all those college kids have a chance to get up. With a 2-hour delay, I'm leaving town after all those kids are already in class. One hour means I have to share the road with the students. Not cool.

In my opinion, if you're gonna go with a 1-hour delay, you might as well not have a delay at all. Really, what good are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment