Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Legends of the Bank Teller: One By One

Via
It's been a very long time since I ran the drive-thru at that bank in Raleigh, but I still remember it like it was yesterday. I remember the Girl in the White SUV. I remember the Spider-Girl. I remember getting really irritated with stupid people who had no right using the drive-thru lane at the bank. I remember kicking my coin locker hard enough to break my toe on more than one occasion (if my bones weren't unbreakable).

I also remember my old co-workers, who seem to be slowly peeling away from the bank one by one since I left. First the manager left. Then Barney Stinson left. And now, one of my fellow tellers is leaving for greener pastures. Friday will be her last day.

I may have hated my job as a teller, but that doesn't mean I didn't have plenty of good times with these co-workers. With this teller, in particular, we spent a great deal of time laughing. Most of the time it didn't take much to get her started. I could quote a line from Steel Magnolias or bring up the fact that it was Cuss Tuesday.

Side bar: Cuss Tuesday was the one day of the week when we allowed ourselves to drop swear words freely as long as there were no customers around. It was a huge stress reliever. At least, that's what we told ourselves. Cuss Tuesday usually fell on Tuesdays, but sometimes necessity would dictate that it fell on a Thursday.

She shared in my excitement when the Girl in the White SUV came by. She mocked my extreme nervousness every time I tried to talk to the Girl in the White SUV. But that was okay because I mocked whenever creepy customers came by to hit on her.

So, to this teller, I wish the best of luck as she moves on to her next venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment