Saturday, January 11, 2014

More Questions. More Answers.

This post is the third, and probably final, in a series. Late Thursday evening I invited folks on Facebook and Twitter to ask me questions which would be answered here in the blog. I answered two on Thursday night and two yesterday. Here are some more of my answers...

Hunter asks, "If you had five days, and money was not a problem, you could not fly nor take a train, where would you go?"

Can I take someone with me? Road trips are always more fun with a full car. Well, they're more entertaining, anyway. If money is really no object, I think I'd take some people to DisneyWorld. I haven't been there in a long time but I remember it being a lot of fun as a grown-up. More fun as an adult than when I went as a kid, actually. But I can't imagine it being much fun by oneself.

Viktor asks, "Dessert Island Movies... What 5 dessert themed movies would you bring with you to an island, or alternatively, what island themed movies would you most like to enjoy a dessert with?"

Again with the island? At least this one's a dessert island. I assume that would be a little more delicious. Dessert themed movies? I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so maybe that's why I'm not too familiar with those types of films. Which may be a little sad because I'm familiar with so many types of movies. Not sure I can name five, but we'll start with the obvious: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And just so I'm clear, I mean the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka, not Johnny Depp. Even if I can't think of five, that remake will not make the list. Speaking of Johnny Depp, I think he was in a movie called Chocolat. Pretty sure it had something to do with chocolate. Next, I'll go with Waitress. I never saw it, but apparently Keri Russell makes a lot of pie. Sarah Michelle Gellar once played a chef who made a magical dessert in Simply Irresistible. Really not a very good movie at all. Finally, crude as it is, I'll go with American Pie. After all, an apple pie did have something of a starring role. As for island themed movies, I think I'd like to watch Cast Away while eating a key lime pie.

Viktor also asks, "What do you want to be when you grow up? What would you tell your younger self if you had a chance to send a message back in time (you can pick the age/year)?"

I want to be a teacher when I grow up. And a writer. But I don't want to teach writing. I want to teach elementary school and use my summers to write. And if I could send a message back in time, I'd send it to myself in high school. Aaron... Study a little more. That extra .01 on your GPA will get you a scholarship, slacker! Don't get discouraged by the amount of work you'll have as an elementary education major. Just stick with it. Boston's gonna win the World Series in 2004. I know it sounds unbelievable, just trust me. Put a lot of money on Boston at the beginning of that season. It'll pay off. Finally, it doesn't matter who she is, don't bother. She's not interested. 

Chris asks, "What are your top five favorite TV shows of all time?"

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother, Friends, Lost and Quantum Leap. No particular order.

Vanessa asks, "Can a woodpecker get migraines?"

Making me work for this one, huh? According to an article by Samantha Hauserman of Arizona State University, there are a few tricks up a woodpecker's sleeve that helps it avoid headaches. To avoid brain damage, woodpeckers are able to vary where their beaks hit. Their skulls are more flexible, acting like shock absorbers. Hauserman describes the woodpecker's skull as being like an internal bike helmet. So, no, a woodpecker cannot get migraines. At least, not from banging its head against a tree. I can't speak to individual woodpeckers who may have specific pollen allergies or deal with abnormal stress on the job.

Hunter also asks, "What are your favorite jokes & punchlines from TV?"

Honestly, I'm not good with jokes and punchlines. My sense of humor is far too dry to successfully land a traditional joke. I'm a big fan of the one-liner though. The best are the random, unexpected lines that come from certain characters. I like Phil's explanation of texting lingo on Modern Family: "I'm cool dad, that's my thing. I'm hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud, OMG: oh my god, WTF: why the face?" A classic is when Joey, on Friends, explained a "moo" point. More recently, I like Nick's random confessions on New Girl. "I don't believe dinosaurs existed. I've seen the science, I just don't believe it." "I'm not convinced I know how to read. I've just memorized a lot of words." Also on New Girl, Winston's pretty hilarious when trying to talk to women. And, of course, there's just too much brilliance to speak of when mentioning Community, 30 Rock or How I Met Your Mother.


 
Well, those are all the questions I've gotten. I'm still open to receiving more questions. This is always fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment