Sunday, January 19, 2014

New Tales from Old Navy: Hanging It Up

"Would you like to hold on to the hangers?"

This is a question you're likely to hear from me or any number of my coworkers if you come through our line at the store. Well, you'll hear it if you happen to be purchasing clothes that are hung and not folded. That's because we want you to have the option of keeping these hangers for yourself. After all, if you're buying something that's on a hanger, there's a good chance you'll be hanging it in your closet once you get home. Unless you're like me and the article of clothing you just purchased ends up sitting in the bag on the floor of your closet for approximately 4 weeks before you remember you actually bought something and had every intention of wearing it.

Anyway, we give you the choice because, maybe you have your own hangers. Maybe you bought the fancy 10 pack at Wal-Mart for $1.50. If that's how you roll, then we want you to keep rolling that way, you big spender.

Personally, I like for people to refuse the store's hangers. That is my preference for one reason only. It's so much easier to bag your clothes if I can fold them, rather than shove a barely flexible plastic hanger into the bag. Those hangers take up so much space and they're awkward and they tend to poke holes in things.

Granted, if you don't take the hangers home with you, I'm stuck with a tub full of unwanted hangers at the end of my shift. Those don't just disappear. At some point, I have to deal with them. But I'd still rather deal with those awkward contraptions than try to awkwardly fit them into the bag that you have to carry out of the store.

Don't let this bit of propaganda sway you, though. If you want to keep the hangers, by all mean, keep the hangers. I'll make it work. I'm just letting you know what I prefer.

1 comment:

  1. I always let Old Navy keep my hangers. I'm the kind of crazy person who has to have all of the hangers in my closet match. But I'm sure I'm not the only one...

    ReplyDelete