Monday, January 20, 2014

Question of the Week: Regret

Have you ever regretted something you did not say or do?

I'd like to boldly state that I live my life with no regrets. To me, regrets are, in my opinion, a waste of time and not worth dwelling on. But just because I'd like to say that doesn't mean it's true. I have no doubt that most, if not all, people have regrets about one thing or another from time to time. I know I've had regrets. But sitting here, typing these words, I can't honestly think of any. Thinking about regrets simply causes us to play a "what if" game. It causes us to dwell on negative aspects of our past. Living in the past gets us nowhere. It's over and done and there's nothing we can do about it. If you're determined to set your mind on past events, then let them be the happy ones. Think about the people and times that have made you smile and laugh and be thankful that those people and events came into your life. Don't regret what could have happened if only you'd done this or refrained from saying that. We've got enough to worry about in the present without dredging up the worries of the past.

1 comment:

  1. I would argue that, in some cases, regret is how you know you need to make amends. If you have a regret (in the sense of remorse), then maybe it is something you need to revisit and DO something about. Learn from it to improve your future self.

    ReplyDelete