Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Frosty

The other day I made a trip to the Wendy's drive-through. It's not a trip I make very often these days, but it was one that I enjoyed very much. I've always been a big fan of the Wendy's. Back in college, when the great Dave Thomas passed away, a group of us had lunch at the local Wendy's in his memory. If I had ever had the chance to meet Dave, I'd have wanted to personally thank him for the 99 cent menu. Brilliant.

Now, it's been a very long time since I last enjoyed a Frosty, that timelessly classic Wendy's not-quite-ice-cream treat. Back in the day, when I still liked chocolate, I would ask the parents for the occasional Frosty, but that's been many, many years ago. Then Wendy's introduced the Vanilla Frosty. Such a thing was unheard of, and since I had long since forsaken chocolate, I was so looking forward to a vanilla treat from my favorite burger joint. But when I tried the Vanilla Frosty, I was unimpressed.

Back to the present, to my most recent visit to Dave's daughter's namesake. I ordered my usual, then got to the window and was offered a small Frosty. The girl just asked if I wanted a Frosty. I told her "No thanks," and thought that would be the end of it. She just said I could have it. So I thought, hey, free Frosty. I guess I can handle a little chocolate if it's free.

So I gave it a shot while I ate my Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger. I ate about half of it before I decided that I had had more than enough. That's enough of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment