Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Travesty

This is an outrage!

I found out this morning that Raleigh Court Elementary School would be closing its doors at the end of this school year. If you've been following my Life Story posts, you'll know that Raleigh Court is where I spent five years of my public education career.

What can I say about Raleigh Court that I haven't said before? I learned so much inside those hallowed halls. It's where I learned how to add and subtract, to multiply and divide. It's where I learned how to make that annual pinch pot in art class. It's where I learned that sideline soccer and "death valley" should be considered Olympic sports. It's where I learned how to tell the difference between the words "ancient" and "accent."

And even though I regularly keep in touch with very few of them, Raleigh Court is where I made some of my earliest and best friendships. These are people who, despite the fact that we probably haven't spoken in years, have left a lasting impression on my life. I can honestly look back with fondness on those young years in elementary school: birthday parties, trips to the skating rink, trips to the science museum, the planetarium... Good times.

According to the Roanoke Times article, Raleigh Court, along with William Ruffner Middle School, are being closed down due to budget cuts. The students will be divided up based on where they live and will attend different schools next year. The hope is that this will fix a $16 million hole in the budget.

I say that now is the time to rally. If you attended Raleigh Court Elementary, then it's time to come together. I say we can save this school, Saved by the Bell style! I know that things never work out like they do on TV. I can't conceive of any way to possibly provide an extra $16 million for the school board's budget on an annual basis. It's a shame it's not TV though. We could have this problem solved in the next 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment