Thursday, February 12, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XLIV

Monday at work, I was informed by Cris that she may be called to jury duty on the next day. Of course she wouldn't know for sure until she called the court after 5 that afternoon. So she told me she'd call to let me know. How does this affect me? Well on Tuesdays, I normally work only in the afternoon. If Cris was to miss the day performing her civic duty, they would need me to come in for the full day.

Later that day, Janet received a phone call that her little girl had gotten sick at school. The thought crossed my mind that she may need to miss work the next day to stay home with a sick child. But I actually didn't think much of it.

I did get the call, just as I pulled into my parking lot at home, that informed me Cris would be in court on Tuesday. So I made my plans to be at work all day on Tuesday.

Tuesday arrived and I got to work on time as planned. I knew for sure that Cris would be absent. But what I found out once I arrived was that Janet would be out as well. What would this mean for me? It meant that I was the only teller in the branch that day.

At first I thought about panicking. I told my assistant manager that I'm not much of a crier, but that they might see it that day. Fear not, I was not alone. Paulette and Susu, two of our financial service folks, came over to the teller line to open drawers.

So I had help. And thankfully, Tuesday was a fairly slow day.

There are a couple ways to deal with a situation like that. A part of me would get stressed out and overwhelmed by thinking I was the only one to work the teller line. That part of me would get angry at the situation. But what's the point in that? Things happen that cannot be controlled. Why worry about it? Just take things one step at a time.

I should probably take that advice when I get mad being stuck in traffic.

1 comment:

  1. Why not just throw a tantrum and teach them a lesson in male dominance?

    ReplyDelete