Friday, February 13, 2009

Question of the Week: Fire

Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire; after saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be?

I'm not a sentimental person. When Dad passed away, I threw away so much stuff after going through his house. I'm sure the city of Roanoke had more than one complaint about how much stuff they had to haul away from my curb. And since I'm not sentimental about anything, the things that sit around in my apartment just strikes me as stuff. There's nothing so important to me that it can't be replaced.

I'm sure the Christian who's better than I would say they'd save their Bible. But I don't have one of those family heirloom gigantic Bibles that you find on a lot of your great-grandparents' coffee tables in those rooms that you weren't allowed to enter as a child. I've got a regular NIV Study Bible. And honestly, it's replaceable.

Practically, I guess it would make sense to grab my laptop. It contains all of my information for hte last two years, and possibly beyond that. We live in an age of digital photography, so it's not like I'm dying to save any of my photo albums. They're all posted on Facebook anyway. Losing things in the fire would be inconvenient, but I'd be okay if things burned up.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment