Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like

Christmas is coming. The goose is getting fat.

I had the day off today. It's something that I thought should have been happening every week since they cut my hours back to 35. For some reason, I've continually been scheduled to work every day, but two of those days each week come as half days. Why not just combine the halves and make a whole day off? Logical, right?

So that's what my manager finally did this week. And how did I spend my day off? I helped decorate the Greenehouse for Christmas. That's right, the tree is lit, the greens have been wrapped around the door post, and the stockings are hung by the chimney with care.

But I can't help but feel like it's kind of early. Traditionally, I've held to a Thanksgiving weekend decorating schedule. But hey, it's not my house, so it's not my rules. I just pitch in where I can. Especially since, in my own home, I won't be decorating this year.

You know, I had the opportunity to buy one of those fancy pre-lit trees last year right after Christmas. It was 50% off, so that's not a bad deal. But I passed it up. And now, another year goes by and I'm not getting a tree. I don't have any lights to hang in my apartment, nor do I have a wreath to hang on the door. But I'm really okay with that.

As much time as I spend with the Greenes, I get plenty of chances to bask in the glow of tiny white lights reflected off glass ornaments. Now I just need some snow and I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment