Saturday, November 21, 2009

Napping

Something odd happened to me today. I took a nap.

But that's really not the strangest part. I mean, there are days when I'll lie down, shut my eyes, and fall asleep for about half an hour. It doesn't happen often, but it's usually a very enjoyable experience.

Today I had no intention of taking a nap. I ran some errands this morning, had lunch with a friend, then came back home to spend my time doing pretty much nothing. Somehow I ended up falling asleep.

When I woke up it was dark. That's what hit me as strange. When I had closed my eyes it was a sunny afternoon. Light was pouring in through my enormous windows. Suddenly my apartment was completely dark. It wasn't even 6:00 yet.

As much as I like the winter, and as much as I always look forward to Christmas, I never look forward to these early sunsets. These short days and long nights are just crazy. On the plus side, by the time Christmas gets here, the days will be getting longer again.

I had a biology teacher in high school that used to talk about how much he hated summer. His reasoning? Because the days were getting shorter and it depressed him. Kind of a pessimistic way of looking at things. But I guess the flip side of that coin is that he was optimistic once winter hit. All those days are getting longer by the day. But what does he have to look forward to if he doesn't like summer? Really it just becomes an endless cycle of pessimism. How sad for him.

Anyway, I woke up in the dark. With a headache. I mean, what's that all about? Why is it that sometimes we, as people, take naps and feel worse when we wake up than we did when we laid down?

In other news, I finally watched G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra this morning. I really don't want to write a review for it. I'll just say I wasn't as disappointed as I expected to be. It's the kind of movie that you can't go into thinking it's going to change your life. It's just mindless entertainment that just won't win any awards. I'm sorry, Dennis Quaid, it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment