Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Apple

I had the fortune of traveling out to the mall today. Not the mall that's close to where I live. The one that's further into town. The expensive mall. The one that has The Cheesecake Factory and The Disney Store.

That mall also has an Apple Store. I've only ventured into that shop a few times. And each time, I feel completely overwhelmed. Or maybe I just feel like I'm really out of my element.

See, I would have to consider myself a PC. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. I'm sure there are plenty of the "Mac" people out there who would feel that way. It's possible that they would even feel sorry for me. It's possible that they would call me bigoted because I haven't bothered to branch out from my safe little Windows comfort zone. Deal with it. I like Windows 7. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was my idea.

Anyway, I was in the Apple Store today. And even though I'm a "PC", I think I really want an iPad. I was playing around with this thing for a while. See, they have about 50 of them on display. Actual, working iPads. You can watch Netflix movies on them. You can surf the internet. You can play games. You can read books. I ask you, is there anything you can't do with the iPad?

Okay, you can't paint your house with the iPad. So I rephrase the question. Is there anything important that you can't do with the iPad?

But I'm still a PC. Switching to Apple seems, from the outside, to be a pretty severe lifestyle change. Yes, I've dabbled in a few of Apple's products. I own an iPod. I frequently use iTunes on my laptop (which is, of course, a PC). And I am a huge fan of apple pie. Especially with a scoop of vanilla. Good stuff.

However, taking that giant leap from PC to Mac is just too much for me at this juncture. I mean, I still haven't quite figured out exactly what I want to be when I grow up. And I'm 30. I just don't have time in my life to change operating systems so drastically. It was a struggle just going from Windows XP to Windows 7. That's right, I skipped Vista. A choice, I'm told, was a good one. And by that, I mean skipping Vista was a good choice, not that Vista was a good choice.

Maybe it's a confidence thing. Maybe I just don't feel like I'm the kind of person that's cool or trendy enough to have a Mac. But I was looking at some of the software too. And I've heard from friends who have officially made the switch that Mac is a better system for media programs. So if I were to do video blogs, like I've thought about doing, it would be more convenient to have a Mac for editing things of that nature. I guess. I don't know.

Another deciding factor is the price. I mean, have you even been to the Apple Store? Wicked expensive. Also, they don't even have a produce section.

1 comment:

  1. im gonna go ahead and say, once you go Mac, you will not go back. at first the switch can be confusing. i was fortunate enough to be surrounded by mac users to answer stupid questions like "how do i open a new tab in my browser?" if you go to the best buy in cary, they have a mac store. this way you are able to get a mac with a zero interest for 15 months kinda deal. they do not offer this is the mac store at the mall.

    ReplyDelete