Monday, September 13, 2010

Not Getting Into It

There's a part of me that really hates this time of the year. It's the time of year when network television does their best to entice viewers to get caught up in their brand new programming. They want people to latch on to series and stars and they're just praying that one of these new shows will be the next Lost. Networks are constantly on the look out for the next show that will keep people coming back week after week, as if it's a fix that the TV junkies just have to have.

I can't tell you how happy I was that Lost ended back in the spring. Well, it was bittersweet. I thought Lost was a great show, from start to finish. There's a part of me that was glad I got sucked in with episode one, and there's a part of me that's glad I was addicted to that six-year long story. But there's another part of me that's glad it's all over. That's an hour of my life every week that I get back to myself.

But TV wants me to replace it with something else. TV wants to give me something that's just as addictive. But I don't want to. I really don't want to find something to take the place of Lost or 24 or any other show for that matter. Maybe my priorities have shifted, but I've just stopped caring about the new stuff TV has to offer.

It isn't that the new promos that are being beamed to my TV aren't intriguing. The Event looks like it answers that Lost mentality. The commercials show just enough to make people scratch their heads and ask, "What's that all about?" Those are the people that will tune in to the premiere and either be really impressed or really disappointed. My guess is, it'll develop a small, but loyal fan base who will get up in arms when NBC fails to renew it for a second season.

If that's the case, why watch the new show at all? What's the point of getting invested in new stories and new characters, just to be disappointed by a lackluster finale when it's all said and done.

I say no more! I say we stop letting these television studios dictate what the next big thing will be for the sake of advertising dollars!

Wow... that kinda sounds like I'm suddenly anti-television. I'm not. I think TV is swell. Not really sure where that rant came from. I guess I'm just tired of all of it. It just seems to me there are a lot more important things going on in the world than whether or not the women of Wisteria Lane are getting along this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment