Wednesday, April 10, 2013

AFI 39 - Dr. Strangelove

Welcome to my journey through the American Film Institute's top 100 movies of all time (as of 2007). I've been counting down from number 100 and will eventually get to what they consider the best movie ever made. I've agreed with some. Others I've really not liked. Keep reading to see how I felt about this one...

Dr. Strangelove
1964
Directed by Stanley Kubrick
Netflix sleeve: When a fanatical U.S. general (Sterling Hayden) launches an air strike against the Soviets, they raise the stakes by threatening to unleash a "doomsday device," setting the stage for Armageddon in this classic black comedy that brilliantly skewers the nuclear age. The film's star-studded cast includes George C. Scott, Slim Pickens, James Earl Jones and Peter Sellers (who steals the show and copped an Oscar nod playing three roles).

This is one of those I kind of feel like I should have seen before now, yet I never had. Now that I've seen it, I'm glad I watched it, simply for the sake of watching it. But I wasn't really all that impressed. I mean, it's a film that is firmly settled into our pop culture. So it's constantly referenced by movies and TV shows all over the place. Particularly the scene where Slim Pickens rides the nuke like a bull at a rodeo. But I just don't think I'd put it in my personal top 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment