Friday, April 26, 2013

Remembering Bluefield: Sarah Nash Blunt

Welcome to another thrilling installment of Remembering Bluefield! This week we sit down with Sarah Blunt. I met Sarah at Bluefield College, but soon realized that I had met her when we were both small children, back when I took piano lessons from her grandmother. Small world, right? But enough about me. Let's catch up with Sarah...

Name:
Sarah Nash Blunt

What year did you graduate?
2003

What degree did you earn?
B.S. in Psychology, Minor in History and Criminal Justice

What drew you to Bluefield College?
My parents really pushed it because it was the cheapest of all the colleges I looked at, but I liked it because it was small and Christian based. And every time I visited, it was May and gorgeous.

What kept you there?
Friends!! And Justin :-) And my classes with Dr. Johnson.

Is there a class that changed your life? If so, what?
Psychology and Childhood Development made me realize I really liked studying that and I was good at it! So I changed my major from Education to Psychology.

What teacher had the biggest impact on you? Why?
Dr. Johnson, who taught Psychology and Childhood Development and a lot of my other psychology courses, was my all-time favorite professor. She was not afraid to be an example of a schizophrenic, tell you what she believed, and pray for you. She really showed she cared about what she was teaching, and that she cared about us. I actually enjoyed going to her classes. She didn't just lecture, she taught! She was an all-around great lady too!
I like Dr. Tresch too. Most people might have thought he was boring, but I loved history and was amazed at all he knew from memory!

Did you live on campus or commute?
I lived on campus the whole 4 years!

Who were your roommates?
Freshman year, first semester - Sophia (something)... sad I can't remember her name.
Freshman year, second semester - Shannon Harris and Jessica Taylor
Sophomore year - Beth Hyatt! I loved living with her!
Junior and Senior years - I was an RA, so I lived alone. But senior year I had the best suite mates Jo Cummings and Tish Smith!

Share an epic roommate story (if you have one).
Can't remember any good ones right now.

What's your most cherished Bluefield College memory?
Dating Justin is one of my most cherished memories! But as a financially poor couple, where do you go for a date in Bluefield? To Wal-Mart! We would just sit on the outdoor swings, which had been placed for sale throughout the stores and talk for hours. That was free!
And one of my favorite memories would be coming back from my brother's wedding in Roanoke just in time for the Homecoming dance (I was also supposed to be on RA duty the next day). Justin and I walk in the door and Heather runs up to me so excited I made it back in time; I guess she knew I was going to win Homecoming Queen. That was pretty special. I have never ever won something like that, as superficial as it may be, I felt pretty special.
I also loved to play Spoons or Phase 10 with a big group of people out on the Rish Hall porch! So fun! I loved going to the basketball games too! Or going to get Hardees' biscuits at 2am!
Another memory that sticks out to me was during my Junior year, I was at one of the Freshman social things for the first week as an RA. They had karaoke in the Quad. I saw this guy get up to sing, and the DJ said he was going to sing the Reba song "Fancy." And so that was the first time I saw and heard Andy Berry, and I remember thinking, "Oh, he's special..." Sorry, Andy!

Where are you now?
I married Justin Blunt, and we have two great and cute kids. Emilie (Emmie) is in kindergarten and Caleb (Cal) is 11 months old! We live in the east end of Richmond, close to New Kent. Justin and I will have been married 9 years in July. Justin teaches 8th grade Civics at Oak Knoll Middle School and is the youth director at Sandston Baptist Church.

What are you doing?
I work for the International Mission Board (Lottie Moon Offering) helping missionaries who serve in Asia. I kind of work in the "human resources department" and the missionaries are the "employees" I serve. I love it! One of the best jobs I have ever had.

Does that mean you're using your degree?
I do use what I learned a lot actually. I may not be a counselor like I thought I wanted to be, but I do use what I learned in the classroom in everyday life; helping missionaries, helping the youth group, and raising my kids.

Are you where you pictured yourself being when you were in college?
Not really. I always hoped I would be married and have kids one day, but I never thought I would move away from Roanoke, live in Richmond or work for Lottie Moon!

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Here, being a mom of a 10 year old girl and 5 year old boy. Oh, I don't like thinking that far ahead! The only change I hope for is a new house. We are running out of space!

What's your greatest post-BC accomplishment?
Emilie and Caleb

What's your fondest post-BC memory?
Our wedding! So fun!

If you had it to do all over again, would you change anything?
I don't think so... maybe get a different wedding planner... and a better cake!

Thanks again to Sarah for taking the time to play along! Who should we grill next week? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment