Friday, April 05, 2013

Remembering Bluefield: Kelly Somers

Welcome to another epic episode of Remembering Bluefield! This week, the spotlight falls on Kelly Somers, who was voted Outstanding Senior by the faculty and staff of Bluefield College during her senior year. Without further ado, in her own words...

Name:
Kelly Somers

What year did you graduate?
2003

What degree did you earn?
BS in CRJ (Criminal Justice) and a minor in psych.

What drew you to Bluefield College?
It was a small Christian school!

What kept you there?
Friends and involvement in extracurricular activities.

Is there a class that changed your life? If so, what?
Not really, I was more into the social aspect of college!

What teacher had the biggest impact on you? Why?
I had a lot of good professors: Crawford, Stepp, Walls and Farmer. But I think people like Ranae Bailey, Dean Dan, Rodd Welker and Angela Stewart took time to invest in me and coach me through my college years!

Did you live on campus or commute?
Resident all 4 years.

Who were your roommates?
Freshman year I lived with Katrina Hall (Flowers) and Amy Jo (lived with this other girl whose name I can't remember for a few weeks but we didn't get along!). Last 3 years I was an RA. I suited with Shannon my junior year! That was awesome!

Share an epic roommate story (if you have one).
Well this is when Shannon and I suited together. She sometimes slept on my futon (don't worry, I won't tell you the story of what she did on my futon). Anyway... she had fallen asleep and I was still awake and she started talking in her sleep. She asked if we could pray together. I was just thankful that Shannon prayed!!! Then she wanted to know why this girl had subway stamps all over her! It was hilarious! Another thing that's funny is that time Shannon was yelling at Aaron Peck across campus and he yelled back I don't speak skank! Good times! :)

What's your most cherished Bluefield College memory?
I think being a part of Res Life for 3 years because it prepared me for what I'm doing now! As well as the trips to Brazil and the friendships I made and still maintain today!

Where are you now?
Bluefield, VA

What are you doing?
Working at BC as the director of residence life.

Does that mean you're using your degree?
Yeah, I think so!

Are you where you pictured yourself being when you were in college?
Yeah, I think so! Ha! Ha!

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Married to Caleb Bittler with a couple of kids!!!!!!

What's your greatest post-BC accomplishment?
Getting my Masters degree!

What's your fondest post-BC memory?
Caleb proposing to me at Bluefield city park the day before Easter and having my family there! It was awesome! I felt like Monica from FRIENDS! :)

If you had it to do all over again, would you change anything?
Nope! Everything good or bad helped shape me to become the person I am today!

Thanks to Kelly for playing along this week! Be sure to come back next Friday to find out who will be the next featured Bluefield College alumnus!

No comments:

Post a Comment