Monday, April 08, 2013

Going Downton

It's hard to believe, but I've fallen into the same trap that so many before me have fallen into. I'm a little late to the tea party, but I've become fully invested in Downton Abbey.

It didn't happen all at once. I watched the first episode via Netflix, but wasn't hooked. I was intrigued, but not addicted. A couple weeks later, I picked up with episode two. Still not too impressed. I'm not sure what happened with the third episode, but after that I just had to find out what happened next.

Somehow I felt the need to get involved in the fictional lives of these early 20th century Brits. I found myself rooting for Anna and Mr. Bates to fall in love. I found myself yelling at the screen, asking why they bother to keep Thomas around. Or even O'Brien, for that matter. By the end of the first series, I started to wonder if any of these characters had any redeeming qualities. Then series 2 brought about the Great War, which changed my opinion about a lot of people. But not Thomas. He's always a jerk*.

I know that a third series has come and gone, but it's not available on Netflix or Hulu yet. So after a Downton marathon this weekend, I'm kind of having withdrawals. I may need some of the people in my life to speak with a British accent for a while.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best thing to happen to PBS since Sesame Street introduced us all to the letter T.

*I'd like to say something stronger than jerk, but I'm keeping this thing as family friendly as possible.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya, AP. It took me a couple episodes to get with the program, but I'm a dedicated Downton fan too! Glad you stuck with it. It's AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete