Friday, April 12, 2013

Remembering Bluefield: Sarah McCloud Clevenger

Welcome to another thrilling installment of Remembering Bluefield! This week we focus on one of the most musically gifted women I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Most of you know her as Sarah Clevenger. The Rams of the turn of the century knew her as Sarah McCloud. And so, without further ado...

Name:
Sarah McCloud Clevenger

What year did you graduate?
2003

What degree did you earn?
B.A. in Christian Studies - Ministry focus and a minor in Vocal Music

What drew you to Bluefield College?
It was semi-close to home, but far enough away for me to get my "wings". Plus, I loved the size and the Christian atmosphere was a huge plus! :-)

What kept you there?
I loved the new friends that I made, the size of the classes, the wonderful professors, and all the opportunities for growth not just academically, but spiritually as well!

Is there a class that changed your life? If so, what?
I don't know if there was an exact class that changed my life, but there were several of my Christian studies classes that truly helped me solidify my beliefs and faith with ways to help me grow as a Christian while also sharing the love of Christ with others in a meaningful way!

What teacher had the biggest impact on you? Why?
There were SEVERAL amazing professors that I will never forget and many that impacted my life in wonderful ways! Two that really stand out to me are Dr. Eddie Stepp and Mr. Sheppard! They both showed me how to truly reach out and minister to those around me and helped me realize the gifts that I have and how to use them more effectively! :-D I truly loved working with Dr. Lyle, Mr. Mosley, Mrs. Castillo, Charles and Rebecca Reese, and several others as well! :-D

Did you live on campus or commute?
I lived on campus for four years and off for one year which was interesting, cause I didn't have my own car...LOL It was an interesting and fun experience, but I enjoyed living on campus much better! :-P

Who were your roommates?
I had several! My first year were Amanda Jarvis and Carrie Rae Peters, then there was my year off campus with Sarah French, Stephanie Cox, and Kristy Thompson (SOO much fun!) and we had a CRAAAAZY old neighbor...wow... that was an interesting year... LOL, and then I was suite-mates with Stephanie Ball for my last two years and me, her, and Kita were usually stuck together like glue most days! haha

Share an epic roommate story (if you have one).
Goodness, there were SO many! lol Mmmm, I'd have to go with the year I lived off campus and we had that CRAZY neighbor! "Junior"....LOL He would spray leaves off his car EVERY morning and would constantly come knock on our door and request that we turn up the heat. (He lived with his elderly mother, who by all accounts I was in awe that she was still alive...!! haha And for some reason, our houses were "joined" and the controls for the heat were located on our side). I swear we would have it set to like 80 degrees and have the windows open in the dead of winter just to be able to breathe and he would STILL come knock on our doors and make us turn the heat up! One night at like MIDNIGHT, he began knocking on the door and I was by myself. I just ignored him like I usually do, but he persisted to knock on the front door, kitchen wall, etc....Then it happened..the DOOR KNOB began moving..I was like "REALLY??, Jeez, he's persistent tonight...", and I ran up the staircase freaking out and just peered around the corner watching the doorknob jiggling back and forth... I was just about to call the cops (yes I was very freaked out) when I heard a male's voice saying "Maintenance, Maintenance!" Apparently our lovely neighbor Junior had called someone with maintenance and they had to come and confirm that our heat was indeed turned up to 80 degrees....I was like REALLY??!! Needless to say the maintenance man later apologized for the bother and I saw them both out of the house...CRAZINESS! That's when I realized I'd rather live on campus! LOL :-P

What's your most cherished Bluefield College memory?
Goodness, how do I narrow this down...Mmmmm...I would have to say all the memories I have involving the music/theater departments along with my missions experiences in Brazil! I grew so much as a musician and as a Christian through all my experiences! I often found myself WAY outside of my "normal" comfort zone, but I'm so glad I was placed in every circumstance, because the ways I have grown have made it SO worthwhile! :-)

Where are you now?
I'm currently living in Big Stone Gap, VA with my husband Josh Clevenger (we will be celebrating our 7 year wedding anniversary in June!) and our two adorable baby girls, Ryleigh (almost 2 and a half) and Selah (7 months).

What are you doing?
I'm a stay-at-home-momma and I LOVE it!! It's one of the hardest, yet most rewarding "jobs" I've ever done! I'm also working with two independent sell companies to help pay the bills, etc. They are Thirty-One (https://www.mythirtyone.com/76361/) and Origami Owl (www.sclevenger.origamiowl.com). I LOVE both companies and everything they stand for and the products are AMAZING! :-) They both get me out of the house, providing for my family, and I've met so many amazing people along the way! :-D

Does that mean you're using your degree?
Well, yes and no...LOL My degree is in Ministry, so I just always look for any opportunity to minister to anyone and everyone that crosses my path! I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that people are brought into our lives for a reason, so I just try to show the love of God to everyone I meet, while helping them see their own potential! **I also am involved in an integrated worship service at my home church and facilitate the music for our Summer VBS, so that is definitely using my music degree and I love it! :-)

Are you where you pictured yourself being when you were in college?
I had no clue what God had planned for me after I graduated, and I remember how scared and unsure I was...God has brought me through some of the happiest and darkest times of my life and I couldn't imagine going through anything without Him! I'm glad He has a plan even when I don't have a clue, and His love is what I try to keep at the center of my life, because I know it's the only thing that lasts.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
5 years...goodness, my babies will be in school for a couple of years and I'm not really sure of the rest! haha I just hope to be right where God wants me to be and in the center of His will, because that's the only place where true peace is. I would love to eventually get a professional CD put together of all the songs I've written, maybe one day! Praying for God's direction with that! :-)

What's your greatest post-BC accomplishment?
I would have to say that I married my best friend and have given birth not just once, but TWICE to two beautiful and amazing little girlies that hold my heart and are the main reason I try so hard at everything I do, because they are my love and life! 

What's your fondest post-BC memory?
The day I married my husband is a day I will never forget! We ran off to Gatlinburg, TN with just a few family and friends, and that is where our amazing journey began. :-) I remember thinking that I would never get married or that no one wanted to be with me, and going through all the crazy emotions and feelings of constantly feeling that I need to be perfect or change something about myself to make me "better", better enough to be with someone. My husband truly loves me for ME and I can be myself, good and bad, pretty and ugly, happy and in despair, he loves me, BECAUSE I'm me!! How great is that feeling??! I pray everyone can experience this kind of love. We still have good and bad days, but when you find someone who will love you and you them even if it's not all hunky dory all the time, that's the love you want to hold onto and never let go! :-)

If you had it to do all over again, would you change anything?
I know I wouldn't want to change anything, because I know every experience, moment, etc. made me into who I am today. I would, however, LOVE to tell my college self that it will all be okay and to try and enjoy every moment even more, because those were some good 'ole days back in the Field of Blue, and that little place will forever hold a place in my heart!

Thanks again to Sarah Clevenger for participating in this week's Remembering Bluefield post! Come back next week to find out who else has been willing to take this little trip down memory lane!

1 comment:

  1. This is a pretty awesome thing you're doing, Aaron. Great format, and great interview with Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete