Monday, November 03, 2008

Elect

Tomorrow is Election Day. It's that special day that comes around each year when every intelligent American can go to the polls and voice their informed opinions and take part in shaping the near-future of our local, state, and federal governments. It's also that special day when every idiot in America can go to the pools and voice their uninformed opinions and take part in shaping the near-future of our local, state, and federal governments.

Today's post is my one and only lecture post regarding the election. The ability to vote is a right and privilege that people over the last two and a half centuries fought for Americans to have. Yet how many people actually go out and exercise that right? According to the Census Bureau, in the 2004 presidential election, 68% of registered voters showed up to cast their ballot. My question is, why isn't it 100%?

Being the cynical person that I am, I generally don't give a second thought to who wins elections. I'm usually of the mind that my one vote doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things. But I talk myself right back into voting because what if everyone thought that way? Then you'd have a country with no direction.

So I implore all five of you reading this blog to go out tomorrow and vote. I'm not going to tell you who to vote for. That's wrong on so many levels. But I do want you to check up on the candidates. Figure out which one stands for the things in which you believe. Where do each of the candidates stand on the issues that concern you the most? Decide from there who you'll vote for. This isn't American Idol. Don't just vote for the one that you think is most popular or who's prettiest.

Vote early. Vote often.

And while I'm not telling you who to vote for this year, I will tell you who to vote for in eight years. Be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment